Friday, March 28, 2008

Ouran High School Host Club

Eeeeeee! It's Host Club! I love this SO much. Shojo at it's funniest.  This is not dark or sad at all really. There are small life lessons here and there. Tamaki's grandmother is a "hag" according to my eight year old son. Meany. She is truly awful. OK quick summery. Take a elite high school for the very wealthy, add a poor scholarship student, mix with an all male host club and add a dash of ambiguous female and you have a laugh fest. This is just the first part of episode one. SEE the whole thing. I am still collecting the manga but the anime was enjoyable. Let me just say this about the first episode. I felt as dense as pound cake the first time I watched it. There are always things when you are watching anime as an outsider to Japanese culture that just go over your head and you just go with the flow and just enjoy. If you have a great dub then a lot is explained. You hear a lot about how British humor for example is dry or odd. Personally I love it but the same can be said for understanding any other culture. So I felt like a dummy when as the host club members began to figure out Haruhi was really a girl a little light bulb would appear over their heads. Can you believe I didn't get it? I just saw the light bulbs but never connected it was because they had figured it out. DUH. Oh well, I am just going to assume most of you know what host club is. If not they do explain it. My sons dressed up for a con last summer as Nekozawa and Hunny. My eight year old was Hunny. He was the perfect height and had the right color hair so he didn't need a wig. We did buy a bun bun though. Cons are so fun. It's a social acceptable excuse to dress like it's Halloween at other times of the year. 

1 comment:

fuzzemdemon said...

I love this series as well. I went to Portcon as Nekozawa, leader of the black magic club at Ouran High School.